Simply put, thermoplastic elastomers are thermoformed, and injection molding machines, extruders, and blow molding machines can be used to produce some products! It has the function of recyclability and part of traditional rubber.
However, some mechanical properties and anti-aging properties are far inferior to rubber, such as automobile tires. Thermoplastic elastomers cannot be made, only natural rubber can be made!
The thermoplastic elastomer can be bonded with hard glues such as PP, PC, ABS, PS, PE, PA, etc. It is generally used as a soft glue on the handle of a toothbrush for auto parts, daily necessities, sporting goods, children’s toys, and kitchen supplies, etc. It is the thermoplastic elastomer (TPE).
1. Thermoplastic elastomer has a linear structure and is physically cross-linked through hydrogen bonds. The hydrogen bonds are broken at high temperatures and are plastic; rubber is chemically cross-linked and does not have thermoplasticity.
2. Rubber is relatively soft, and the hardness range of thermoplastic elastomer is very wide, between rubber and plastic.
3. The processing methods are different. Rubber is processed by mixing rubber, and thermoplastic elastomers are generally molded by extrusion.
4. Different properties, rubber usually needs to add various additives, need vulcanization reinforcement, and the performance of thermoplastic elastomer is very good.
5. The concept of elastomer has a wide range. A thermoplastic elastomer is also called thermoplastic rubber. The rubber usually refers to thermosetting rubber.